Monday, March 28, 2011

2 Months Later, A Joyful Return!

When I left Antigua in January, as most know, I was buoyant and excited about the possibilities ahead. I brainstormed, I strategized, I planned; I let my hopes rise unabashedly, and I determined that no matter what happened, no matter what roadblocks arose, I was going to make this project I had conceived a reality.

When I came home, I threw myself into the task as much as I could, given the lack of concrete information I had regarding how exactly to implement my plan successfully within the existing Nuestros Ahijados framework. It has been a challenge to plan an "idea." It was that challenge that really solidified my resolve to return to Guatemala again before I make the "big move" out of the US. Obviously, another visit to a place I've grown to love wouldn't be a chore, but financially, it was difficult to justify unless it was necessary to the success of the project. I realized that without an understanding of the details and minutiae, it was going to be damn near impossible to formulate any sort of plan; to prepare the materials I needed; to ask people to contribute to an "idea."

Two months later, here I sit, chatting with Corinne (the volunteer coordinator) and the various staff that wander in and out of the office throughout the morning, on my laptop, sipping my coffee, and reflecting on the hectic week I've had since returning this past Tuesday. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and Lady Gaga's "Pokerface" is blaring through the courtyard, bass thumping, in between presenters in the Dreamer Center (school)'s morning meeting. Welcome back, indeed.

The flights in were uneventful, save for the increased security measures to board the plane. There were two border patrol agents stopping every passenger in the middle of the boarding hallway (I'm sure there is a technical term for it, but I'm not aware of it), asking how much cash they were carrying, randomly searching people, and giving a very withering stare to each passenger before giving a terse, "Go. Board." Apparently there are some issues with large quantities of money being moved through Guatemala related to the drug/gang economy. Other than that, my layover in Houston was tolerable, and although the Continental stewardesses were possibly the rudest and most unpleasant I've ever encountered in the past few years of frequent flying, my landing in Guatemala was as pleasant as can be. The airport taxi driver brought me as far as downtown Antigua before informing me that he didn't actually know where Jocotenango was, and asking me for directions. After a wrong turn that took us to Casa Jackson (the turn looked familiar for a reason!), I arrived safely at Ray and Luke's. Home sweet home.

The past week has been filled with various mini-reunions with the Nuestros Ahijados staff (most of whom didn't recognize me with my blonde hair), many pounds of delicious street food from the many street fairs taking place due to the impending Santa Semana (holy week before Easter), many cervezas among friends, sunshine, hammocks, and parties. It has been a wonderful welcome. It almost feels like I never left...

More on street food, as eating it is one of my favorite Guatemalan past times. For the uninitiated, street food is served from small carts on the street equipped with griddles, deep fryers, and various boilers- whatever is necessary to make the food being served. There are tacos (3 for 10 quetzales, roughly $1.10); pupusas (thick tortillas with cheese folded into the dough in the middle, fried up on the griddle and topped with guacamole, salsa, choice of meat, shredded cabbage and vegetables, and jalapenos, 4Q or $0.50 each), empanadas filled with various meats, vegetables, plantains, frijoles, etc; mashed potatoes and vegetables rolled into a tortilla and deep fried like a taquito and topped with- you guessed it- guacamole and your choice of the above mentioned toppings; fried plantains; churros topped with sugar and cinnamon; papayas and mangos sliced up and mounted on a stick, almost like a lollipop (another 4Q treat!); chocolate dipped strawberries; arroz con leche (sort of like drinkable rice pudding with cinnamon on top).... Ahhh, street food. It should come as no surprise to many of you that I ate all of the above yesterday afternoon. :)

It has been fun, but it has not been all fun and games. For the sake of the eyes of the kind people who are following this adventure, I am breaking this post up into personal, and project-related.

Next up: The Return to Casa J...

No comments:

Post a Comment