Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Produce and Politics

Yesterday's trip to the mercado (my first since returning) was at first a mission to find a decent blender. For those unaware, I probably imbibe about half of my day's food in liquid form. This is not a weight-loss strategy, or even a weight-maintenance one. Nope, I am just too lazy to prepare all the food supposedly necessary for my body on any given day. Awhile back, I realized it was far easier to throw a bunch of fruits and vegetables into a blender, press "on," and get my nutrition that way. I am not about to give up this habit, thus, blender shopping.

Several hours later, Corrine and I returned from the mercado laden with groceries. I found the blenders a bit pricey (a decent one costing upwards of $40-$80), although all do come with a one-year warranty, and decided to hold off a bit longer. While my blender-less return was a little disappointing, the short jaunt through the produce section at the mercado was anything but. Each stall had AT LEAST three to four items I couldn't identify, and a number were laden with boxes and bags of spices, dried chilies, and fragrant herbs used for cooking and making tea.

I had my first lychee! For anyone who hasn't seen a lychee outside of the bits they put in bubble tea, let me assure you that they're a pretty ridiculous looking fruit. Small and egg-shaped, the fruits I purchased had the bubbled texture of a raspberry, a color that varied between deep maroon and light peachy-pink, and little soft hair-like spikes protruding from each bubble. Opening them was even more disconcerting; after giving one a good squeeze and twist, juice squirted out and the outside split apart to reveal a white, translucent oval of fruit that conjured up memories of the placenta-like insides of a coconut picked too soon, but even more... well... weird. It was, however, delicious. I ate the entire fruit, including the nut at the center. I took some pictures and will post them another time. It was the most bizarre fruit experience I've ever had.

I'm looking forward to incorporating all of these awesomely weird new fruits and vegetables into my culinary rotation. It's time to start cooking again!

As many of you know, I'm fascinated and intrigued by almost all aspects of Guatemalan history and society. As with most Latin American countries, the US has played a large (often negative and downright reckless) role in the development of Guatemala's current political, social, and economic situation, and continues to do so. Also as with most Latin American countries, I learned next to nothing about Guatemala in school.

This is incredibly unfortunate. The issues plaguing Central and South America affect the US on a daily basis. Tons of military and economic aid is sent to different countries each year to protect "our" interests. Much of this is currently earmarked to fight the 'War on Drugs.' My intellectual goal for the next few months is to wade as best I can through the history of Guatemala, and the history of this issue that's threatening to destabilize the entire region I now (and for the next year, at least) call "home."

I unwittingly decided to make my move down here on a very special year- election year. I was aware that the elections were taking place this year, but the thought had taken such a backseat over the past few months considering the breadth of tasks I had to do to facilitate a move out of the country. As I mentioned on Monday, few Guatemalans hold any hope in the political system, let alone any of the myriad of candidates making illustrious promises to change society, eradicate extreme poverty, and the like.

In any country, election years can be intense and tumultuous. In a country where the government holds more an illusion of control than actual control over the vast majority of the population, the intensity can be frightening. Protests and riots are always possible, and violent crime often increases. This is true in Guatemala City, a city already known for having the highest homicide rate in the Americas. While this can be slightly off-putting, I see it as an incredible opportunity to observe a presidential election in a place where safety and security are not guaranteed; where citizens choose from 22 candidates rather than 2; and where people seem completely indifferent to politicos, yet reportedly lapse into violence over them.

I have a lot to learn about this country.

On a more exciting note, I'll be going into Guatemala City for the first time tomorrow! Outside of landing at the airport and immediately hopping into an Antigua-bound taxi, I've never set foot in Guate (which is what many locals refer to the city as). A friend of Ray's that I met last time I was down is picking me up from Antigua at 9am and taking me around for the day. The city has been such a mystery to me; I've heard so many horror stories, but at the same time, so very many people live and work there, or live in Guate and commute to Antigua for work. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, regardless of public opinion.

Later this evening, I'll be posting about my unexpected visit to Casa Jackson today, and the kids currently there- including a few from my last visit that haven't left yet! I think some of you will be very excited to hear how well they're doing. Also had a chance to speak with Heather, the new coordinator. I've decided to keep my personal and project-related posts separate so that people interested mainly in the kids won't have to sift through all my day-to-day observations and chatter for the family and friends following back home...

No comments:

Post a Comment